Gift Guides Galore!
It’s that time of the year when holiday gift guides are going around the internet like wildfire. While I have found some that are super helpful, it can also get very overwhelming and can sometimes feel a bit..insincere.
As a blog reader myself, I often struggle with wanting to support bloggers, who do put in a lot of time and energy behind the scenes to share content online, AND the idea of super overconsumption and also authenticity.
Tried & True
I wanted to put together a gift guide of tried and true things that I have purchased and loved myself. There is nowhere I would rather be than cozy at home, reading a book!
So if you are shopping for a book lover, or are one yourself, I am hoping these suggestions come in handy! They are not holiday-themed, as they are things that I have used and loved all year round and have also stood the test of time which I think is super important.
To be upfront, some of these links are Amazon affiliate links (you can read more about this on my FAQs page HERE) and some are not…but they are ALL things I have purchased myself and am sharing because I think they are awesome!
Since I began using affiliate links this past spring as a way to help support the costs of running this blog, I have included a disclaimer at the end of my book posts when I share links to purchase the book yourself. In this instance, I wanted to be very clear about it and am happy to answer any questions you have in the comments below or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Now Onto The Bookworm Gift Ideas which basically is a list of some of my very favorite things!
- This Lipmask is my favorite! While I still am a big fan of the Laniege lip sleeping mask, I purchased this off of a recommendation from a skincare loving friend and I love so much too! Both of these stay on forever and are super hydrating, but I love the very mild scent and flavor of the balm and it is perfect for applying before bed or when reading in the bathtub!
Hair Ties that Hold!
2. These hair ties have been my go-to for years! I have to have my hair up when I am buried in a book and they are great for thick hair, stay put and come in so many different color combinations! Sometimes I even double them up for heavy-duty things like a workout class.
I am also not bummed that scrunchies are back! As part of their Skida Scraps Project to help create even less waste, they are now making scrunchies! They can hold up to whatever you choose to do, whether that is lazing around your house or going outside for an adventure. I love this Adele print so much!
A Powerhorse Portable Charger
3. This portable charger is a powerhouse! Between listening to audiobooks and podcasts on my phone ALL the time, and being an overzealous iPhone photographer, I go through my phone charge pretty quickly. After reads dozens of reviews, I settled on this guy and it is everything I hoped it would be!
I have had a portable charger before but it only recharged my stuff a few times before it needed to be plugged in again and as someone is a little disorganized, it defeated the purpose because I was always forgetting to actually charge the thing.
This charger can connect to up to four USB compatible devices at a time which makes it perfect for charging your phone, someone else’s phone, your kindle and wireless headphones all at the same time! I used it all week long on our recent vacation there were not a lot of outlets nearby in our hotel room and it was amazing!
4. Beyond Booked Booksleeves! I didn’t get introduced to book sleeves until this past summer and now I am wondering why I waited so long!! Tancy is one of my Bookstagram buddies and when she shared that she had opened an Etsy shop I couldn’t want to check it out. I have to admit, I was totally sold when I saw she had lots of floral prints because that is my jam! But if florals aren’t your thing, she has lots of other fabric choices to choose from, like these geometric ones HERE.
Not only are booksleeves fabulous for keeping your books safe when you toss them in and out of your bags, but they also are awesome for protecting other things like your Kindle and phone. I brought them on our last two vacations and they were the perfect way to transport things around and also hideaway items I didn’t want laying out when we were at the pool. And as a #Bookstagrammer, they make super cute backdrops for your books as well. 😉
Tancy’s booksleeves are beautifully made and she is just so wonderful to work with. She now offers multiple sizes as well for your even larger hardcopy books.
*I just looked and today for Black Friday she is having 20% off storewide! (not an affiliate link!)
A Pillow Stand for Handsfree Ebook Reading!
5. Have you ever heard of a pillow stand? We have three kindle readers in our house and we all have different methods of propping them up. Lucas uses the rails of the headboard on our bed, our older son usees a stuffed animal and I use a pillow stand!
It allows you to have your Kindle (or other small tablet devices) propped up so you don’t have you hold it up. I like to fall asleep reading so this is my ideal way of reading!
The Most Comfortable Jogger Pajamas Bottoms EVER!
6. There is nothing better than changing into your comfy clothes and having no plans but curling up with your current read. I found these modal joggers (not an affiliate link) two years ago and they are lifechanging!
They are the softest fabric ever(but don’t make you overheated), they don’t ride up on your calves because of the jogger style cuff, and they come in so many patterns choices(that also change seasonally if that is your thing, it is mine!)
You can get deals on them year-round because Gap always has sales but if you are shopping Black Friday deals, you can get them for 50% off right now with code (BLKFRIDAY) and they are SO worth it! These are true to size and I wear a size large for reference.
A Tank to Lounge & Layer
7. I don’t buy a lot of things at Gap for myself but their breathe tank tops are my go-to to for sleeping in EVERY SINGLE NIGHT! They also are the best layer tanks under sweaters and sweatshirts. I don’t have any affiliation with Gap, I just love their loungewear so much. I have worn these for years, and I hope they never stop making them! I also buy a large in this tank.
A Tumbler That Tops My List!
8. I love a good tumbler for water and I also love straws! This Sip by S’well tumbler is THE BEST! It holds a lot of water so you don’t have to refill it all the time, keeps you drink cold (or hot!) and the straw bends and doesn’t clink around all the time like most stainless steel straws out there. I keep one of these on my nightstand every single for easy access while reading. You can find them on Amazon HERE or also at your local Target(pictured above on the right).
My Favorite Wireless Headphones EVER
9. I get very excited to share about things that I love, but I am totally serious when I say that these headphones are one of the best things I have EVER purchased. They changed my audiobook and podcast listening life for the better, but they have also become a household staple for when I just need to tone down the noise level at my house (see the photo above!)
In addition, they make wonderful and cozy winter earmuffs to walk to the school bus while also listening to your current audiobook! And the best part of these, if that you can be listening to something and then when your phone rings, you can answer it through these and it is not super complicated to do! And they stay connected as you walk all around the house and your phone is not nearby.
I clean, unload the dishwasher and fold laundry and even walk buzz, all hands-free, while talking to my friends and if that doesn’t sound amazing, well you haven’t tried it! And they are under 30 dollars! You can read more about them HERE.
A Comfortable and Cozy Sweatshirt!
10. Alright, the next staple of my perfect cozy outfit are these sweatshirts! I love a good sweatshirt and this one meets all my specifications. It is substantial without feeling too heavy to wear inside and it’s fitted a bit up top but the hi-low cut makes it butt-covering without pulling. The fabric feels so nice (and washes and dries amazingly well) and they remind me of the Alo Yoga top in a very similar style minus the heavier price tag!
I am not a big Amazon shopper for fashion choices but I tried these on a whim and then saw my friend Jenny AKA @dreamalittledreamvt wearing it in the charcoal stripes at Pure Barre and she knows what’s up in that department! These sweatshirts are perfect whether you are lounging around your house or running errands around town.
Hand Cream from the Heavens!
11. I am beginning to think from making this list that I am a high maintenance reader…but I just like being comfortable! Having dry skin is the worst and this time the year it is hard to avoid!
Another thing I keep on my nightstand(and by my computer, and on the kitchen counter…) during the colder months is hand cream. And if you haven’t tried this little gem yet you are missing out!
I first found Gramp Lyford’s Country Salve at our local grocery store. It is amazingly moisturizing without being greasy AT ALL, and it is doesn’t have a strong scent, which I really appreciate. Just go read the raving reviews and you will see what I mean!
The Best Bubble Bath Recommendations
12. Reading in the bath feels like the ultimate luxury these days. Now that the boys are bit older, they stay up A LOT later, so gone are the days where they were in bed and we had some time alone! (This is also why my early morning coffee time is so sacred to me!)
Because of this, Lucas and I are both are needing to find some new ways to have some downtime amidst the hustle and bustle of family life, which sometimes feels like it never ends these days…
One of my very favorite things is handing over the parenting reigns, closing the bathroom door and sinking into a nice, hot bubble bath. The boys also like taking baths and so I like finding bath products that work for our entire family. All three of these recommendations create the perfect amount of bubbles and smell amazing without being too strong…they also are moisturizing without feeling greasy!
Puracy bubble bath is the mildest in the fragrance department and creates a ton of bubbles from just a very small amount! The Honest Bubble bath has a great price point (there is often a “save $X amount at checkout deal)and The Alaffia coconut strawberry bubble bath makes you feel like you away at a tropical destination. We love and purchase all three of these regularly and you really can’t go wrong!
Cozy Candlelight Suggestions
13. Candles are one of my favorite ways to feel cozy this time of year. With the lack of daylight, the evenings can feel pretty long right now. I love using candles and table lamps to create warm light that also feels a lot less harsh than our overhead ceiling lights.
I have many favorites but there are some that really top my list! The Bee’s Nectar is a local business(that also has an Etsy shop) and she makes the best soy candles scented with essential oils and she is just so lovely in general. Gillian is often at local craft fairs(that’s where I first found her!) but you can almost always find her candles at the Blue Cottage if you live locally. The grapefruit scent is my very favorite!
This past week Julia talked about these Volcano Candles over on her Nightstand Series guest post HERE. While we don’t have an Anthropologie around here, I learned about these at our local Pure Barre studio!
I often find the scents of a lot of candles too overwhelming but there is something different about this one! The scent is clean and fresh and I love being able to repurpose the smaller container for knick-knacks around our house.
My friend gifted me this candle last year for my birthday and not only it is perfect for bookworm but is also has the most beautiful scent. I have been burning it for only special reading occasions because I just love it so much! They have so many more book-related candles on their Frostbeard Studio Store on Etsy.
Darn Tough Socks!
14. I talked about Darn Tough socks the other day in my Currently Loving post, but they really are the best! Not only do they have a lifetime guarantee are made in Vermont and make for super warm, cozy, and happy feet!
The Best Kindle Paperwhite Price EVER!
15. I couldn’t have a Bookworm Favorite Things post without talking about my beloved Kindle Paperwhite. This year I upgraded to the newest Paperwhite and it continues to be everything I loved about my previous one. It has a long battery life, a glare-free reading screen, and even better, it is now waterproof!
The lowest I have ever seen the newest Kindle Paperwhite was $89 and right now, you can grab one for under $85 HERE!!
With just our library cards and the Libby App, everyone in our family has access to thousands of ebooks, for FREE! And with the addition of great kindle deals that are available every week, we always have something to read, day or night! You can read my blog post related to how to get started with your Kindle HERE.
Kindle Covers That Protect!
16. Finally, if you have a Kindle, you probably will want a case for it! Not only does it help protect your ebook, but it also makes it automatically turn on when you open it. I have had great luck with the Fintie Slimshell case (I love the Z-Jungle Night pattern).
There are many great options available and when you are browsing around, just make sure to get the case that fits your generation of Kindle. The newest Kindle Paperwhite (2018 & 2019 editions) are considered the 10thg generation. Just like iPhones for example, each release is a little bit different in its dimensions so a cover that is for the previous models will not fit the newest Kindle Paperwhite.
Whew!! If you lasted until this point, I am impressed, this was a long one! I hope you found at least some part of this post helpful and if you have any other suggestions, I would love to hear them in the comments below. <3
Disclosure: Some of the links above are Amazon affiliate links. This means if you click through and make a purchase, I receive a small commission that helps support this blog at no cost to you. Thank you!